Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Never Too Young To Rebel

My relationship with my 14-month-old granddaughter Addison entered into a new plane today.  And I do not like it.  Babies are not born innocent the way we like to pretend they are.  Oh sure when they first arrive  they are tiny-- very easy to manipulate and control.  We dress them the way we want putting hair bows and what-not on them.  We hold them when we want for the most part.  Their demands are simple:  feed me, burp me, change me and let me sleep.  
The day Addison turned a year old I noticed a difference in her attitude.  It seemed she instantly developed a self-centered awareness coupled with a seed of defiance.  It was cute on her birthday.  And even cute since then.  After all, it is not my problem--it's her mom's and dad's place to correct her rebelliousness.
But today, that all changed.  You see I keep Addison Mondays-Fridays while my son and his wife work and I love it.  It's like I had a hidden calling in my heart that didn't become evident until she was born.  Today, both our hearts broke.  
She has a room at our house, with a bed and her toys, a chest-of-drawers with some clothes in it--her stuff.  And she knows it.  There is also a treadmill in this room which is not hers--and she knows it.  Even though it is unplugged, she is not allowed to play on it.  But today, she decided since it was in her room, it must be hers.  I walked into the room and she was standing on like she was about to start a 5K.  
"Addison, you know better," I said as I scooted her little bottom off the treadmill back to her side of the room to play with her toys.  
Ninety seconds later she was standing back on the treadmill.  When I saw her I remembered her middle name.
"Addison Elizabeth Haddox!  Did you hear what Bubbe said?"  I scooted her off and this time patted her leg for good measure.  She laughed.  Then she pointed her two inch long finger at me and shook it saying something that it is probably best I couldn't understand.  "Do not be a bad girl," I added not exactly sure what  the best course of action was.  After all, I wasn't sure what she had said.
Now with my son, at this age, I would have already beaten him and went about my business.   It is very different with grandkids. You want to pretend their motives are pure and innocent in every situation.  As I scratched my head wondering if I was getting my point across, I looked up and she was on the treadmill.
"Addison get off the treadmill," I commanded firmly in the most authoritative voice  as I looked down at her.  She didn't budge, but instead gave me a look that would put most teenage girls to shame.  She was dripping with defiance and it was obvious in her eyes that she was not giving in.  I repeated myself not wavering from my position as the Bubbe.  
However, instead of getting down off the treadmill she turned her little back to me and stood there.  I couldn't believe it.  I calmly walked over and turned her around and swatted her diaper five times --which I can promise you hurt me more than her.
I had made my point.  She cried heartfelt tears.  And so did I.  
We are all naturally rebellious.  We do not have to teach our kids how to be bad--it comes naturally.  We are born in to a greasy sin nature and Addison's countenance today reminded me of mankind's helplessness.  Without Christ's intervention at the cross we would be stuck in that state, with no future.  
He provided us with the sacrifice required to redeem us from that pit by leaving his throne in Heaven, living a sinless life and willingly suffering and dying, shedding his blood.  And then he kicked death in the teeth when God resurrected him from the grave.
All because of love.  He loves us.  And if you believe, trust and repent and follow you are counted among the redeemed.
But sometimes, we believers act like we do not belong to him turning away, rebelling.  We desire what we want and we do not care what God thinks.  Kinda like Addison wanting on the treadmill, not caring what I thought.  In such cases, a little swat on our diapers will be in order.  Scripture tells us God chastens the ones he loves.  God is more concerned with our character than our flesh.  
My prayer for Addison is for God to capture her heart and make her his own.  That she will learn right from wrong and fall in love with right.  And that she follow Jesus where ever he leads her.
My prayer for me is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment